Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lunch at Rebecca's place

Green Curry cooking demonstration by Kak Mimi...
Well, it started out when Rebecca, our Taiwanese friend asked Kak Mimi to show her how to cook green curry. She has an instant green curry paste but she didn't know how to do it the proper way. So Kak Mimi was like..."Asilah, have you ever cooked green curry before?" A flat "No" was my answer. Green curry is more a Thai dish...,and I never really into curry so much (apart from fish and crab curry), so I didn't know anything about that and have to refer to the recipes if I had to make one! Anyway, by our own invitation, we ended up having lunch at Rebecca's place on last Friday with Harie San and Asmah ( a newly arrived Malaysian ICT wife)...hihi...Thanks Rebecca! I brought a dish over to go with the green curry..,which turned out to be similar to Malaysian's own 'Masak Lemak Cili Api'. So maybe that was it. The Masak Lemak Cili Api in English! Only that we didn't know! hihi! I would have definitely said "Yes, I know how to cook that!" otherwise!In between, Harie San showed us how to bake chiffon cake. We did that for our dessert. Looking at her doing it with Rebecca took the fear of baking away from me! It was awfully fun actually, that they managed to do it really quickly, and no hassle nothing! And after having oishii-licious finger licking good Kak Mimi's chicken green curry with potato and my fried beef that I brought over, we had Japanese tea flavoured chiffon cake and steaming hot coffee for dessert! Yum yum indeed! We must do this often!
What they did was first to beat the egg white and sugar vigorously together into a hard form, that even if you turn the bowl up side down after that, the foam wouldn't fall! The trick was to add a little salt as well. Then the yolks are beaten next with sugar till it turned to a light creamy colour. Sieve some flour, Japanese green tea and baking powder into the egg yolk mixture and continue mixing it together.Next, was to take a third of the egg white portion and mix in to the batter. Beat vigorously again for a while. Then, add in the rest of the egg white foam and mix in lightly with a spatula. pour into a chiffon cake container and pushed it into the oven. Oh yes! It was pre heated off course at 170 degrees and bake ! Oops I forgot to take the picture of the cake... until after I got home~ Full and contented!!!*burp*Hihi! Kak Mimi, I really can't wait for your version of the chiffon cake with that pandan paste you said! Don't forget me yeah, or do I have to self invite again this time? Hihi! Don't worry, I'd bring a dish over too!

2 comments:

Janna Wan Muhammad said...

aiseh...I was anxious to know how the chiffon cakes look like.....dah selamat dalam perut ye...hmmm....takper2, next time u can try.

Asilah said...

hahahha! tu ler, terus terlupa..,tengok cake best2 ngan steaming hot coffee for dessert, ingat nak makan jer! takper2, nanti pandan chiffon cake is coming!