Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I'm working and Umair is Three!

It has been almost a year since we came back from Japan. So much had happened. After a year of settling down back here in Malaysia, I started work last month. Well, I had applied for the government job since September last year, just for the fun of it, to see whether i was still marketable or not! Early this year, i had completely forgotten about it until I recieved this letter asking me to go for an interview. It was funny really, I was the first one to go in, and it lasted for like 20minutes or so. There were 5 questions, but there was only one question that touched on veterinary line, and the rest were just general questions. I went home, and only 3 months later that I was asked to go back to Putrajaya HQ on 17th May 2010 to report duty. I was accepted! I had mixed feelings about that actually..,'happy' that i was still marketable..,but at the same time, I was missing Umair already! I was a little scared too...would i be able to deliver? The veterinary world has got such a broad field to choose from...,what if I was given something that I didn't like to be in charged of? Like chicken or cattle. I thought I was the only one that had such a long holiday from work...I was wrong. Apparently, there was this other girl who had never worked as a vet before since she graduated in 1994! Talk about being really brave!
We were there in Putrajaya for a week before they started assigning us to our posts. So for the whole week we were just sitting there completing forms and hanged around doing our own orientation! Now am attached with DVS, at the regional lab, as Parasitology & Hematology Head Section. My job function is identifying worms and counting their eggs from feces and intestines and see whether they are significant enough to cause disease or not.
As for blood work, we identify blood parasites, do complete blood count and white blood cells differential. So its not as tough as i thought it would be. In fact, I don't feel like I'm working at all!
At the same time, I have to oversee the students that came in for attachment to our lab. So it's quite fun playing 'Teacher teacher'! Currently, I have 4 students under me. My lab assistants are wonderful people, and so coming to work is fine with me...unless when i feel sleepy about getting up in the morning of course! Despite my coming to work early, i don't 'get up' until about 10am or so! To beat the rush hour, i punch in at 7.30am and go home at 4.30pm. Good thing that I have a room for myself, so sometimes at lunch break when I'm really tired, i could lock the door and take a nap! Lights off, peace and quiet! Hihi!

Umair turned 3 last Saturday. We had a party for him, but the funny thing was that he was actually afraid of the crowd! Maybe he's so used to having his own company that when everyone was actually crowding around him, he felt really scared. He cried when they sang 'Happy Birthday' to him, and we had to cut the cake upstairs in the master bedroom where no one was in there! Funny boy! I can't believe how time flies. He still looks like as though he just came out from my womb, only that he is now much taller and actually can walk!
Umair is currently crazy about everything Thomas. He's got his train friends to occupy himself with while I'm away at work. Other than Thomas, he has Henry, Edward (whom he calls 'Ed'), Gordon ('Don'), James, Emily, Spencer and Diesel to keep him busy. He reads and watch Thomas. So he knows which train he already has and which one he doesn't, so whenever we go to shopping malls, he would definitely pick one to add to his collection! If i had known earlier, I would have bought them all at B-Kids in Japan! But then again, its good thing that umair knows how to value his toys. He plays and keep them nicely. So even though its quite pricey to buy them here, we are satisfied with the way that he looks after his things.

3 comments:

Janna Wan Muhammad said...

aiyyyaaahh....at last....something that I can read...

Asilah said...

Tu lah, now that i could have some peace and quiet at last, baru ada mood nak menaip sikit! hopefully there will be more to come after this! and am working on the pictures too...lama dah xder gambar, cam boring jer kan? i know! i know! hahaha

DinaAbuSamah said...

government officer. Bila nak tambah brood? 90days tu ...Btw, mana u send Umair? Sian dia, sure a bit disoriented with new environment w/o his mummy.