Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cooking Sessions

One of the things that I like most about staying here in Japan is that i get to do a lot of girly stuff that i never really get to do before...,and one of them is cooking! When I was working as a Vet, I used to peel onions in my brain and wishing that I was back home in the kitchen right then and cook-though I had no one to eat my cooking but myself! Having to work until night time (8pm was the usual home time for me), there was no way I could cook without having to stretch my dinner till 9pm or so. By the time, I would be really hungry and too tired to eat. So then, most of the time I had to eat out. Now that I'm married and have a family of my own, (and also temporarily a homemaker here while in Japan), definitely I get to polish on my cooking skill and learn about so many other recipes that I could find on the net or from friends. On top of that, it is also very nice to have a husband who appreciates my cooking!

Yesterday, we had a small get together at Kak Mimi's place...she was showing us (Rebecca from Taiwan, Danuisha-Poland, Hairie San-Japan, and myself) how to make currypuff/karipap, the most popular Malaysian snack. I had always wanted to learn how to make them, and I was jumping with joy when she told me that she was having a session for that! I never thought that it's so easy...,can't wait to make them on my own! Karipap is Nizam's favourite snack so he was really thrilled knowing that I know how to make them myself now! As for Umair...,during the session, he quietly took his milk bottle and found himself a very comfortable place to sleep on....on Kak Mimi's little sofas right under the aircond! ...and this morning, Kak Mimi and I once again had a cooking session. This time it was for 'World Cuisine'...which is one of the groups that they had at the Aste Community Hall. Our dish was a White Tomyam...that we ate with rice. To make it edible for us, we brought all the ingredients needed, the frozen halal chicken and all. Though the degree of 'hot' was not up to our Malaysian standard, the Japanese were sweating enough eating/drinking it! The lunch was served to about 20 people-the staff and the guests of the Community Hall. Each of us had to pay 200yen for the fee. All in all, it was a great experience for me, because I had never ever taught a group of people how to cook before! Let alone in a huge, proffesional-like kitchen. It did give me a scare when i first walked in there!

No comments: